Sunday, July 1, 2007

Wiki

I found the different uses for Wiki's interesting: as a library website, a pathfinder to locate library information about certain subjects, for an event, and as a resource for a specific group of people, to name a few. I also thought the number of times accessed and the last date modified was interesting. The applications I thought most useful to a library would be the subject guide and the book lovers (book reviews, etc). However, the book lovers developed by Princeton Public Library appeared to need updating from 2006! This is another issue for staff of the library. All of this technology takes knowledge and TIME to update and keep active with participants. I was glad to see that editing seems to be limited to some degree because I have concerns about the reliability of information coming from unauthorized sources. I think a Wiki is a useful tool for otaining interesting information quickly about a topic, but then the information needs to be verified by other sources. A Wiki is a great way to share ideas and opinions, to work on team projects, and to gather information. Links in a Wiki to other sites are helpful and useful.

No comments: